camps/ Defence Camps
You are the protector of the house. You play one of the hardest positions on the ice. Your job is to protect the defensive zone as well as be the catalyst in the break out and start the offensive rush. You are the quarterback on the powerplay. Do you have all the required skills? Get game ready with one our Defence specific camps.
Our Defence camps on ice programs are designed by former NHL defenceman, who understand the complexity of the position. Camps are great for forwards and defence alike.
Welcome to our Defence Hockey Camp with former NHL Defenceman, Brennan Evans, where we focus on developing key defensive skills to help athletes excel on the ice.
- Each participant will receive a souvenir camp jersey to wear during the camp.
- The camp offers 2.5 hours of daily ice time, providing ample opportunity for skill development and practice.
- In addition to on-ice training, we also provide off-ice hockey-specific training sessions to enhance overall athleticism and conditioning.
FOCUS AREAS BEING TAUGHT TO THE ATHLETES:
1. Defensive Zone Skills:
Angling techniques to effectively defend against opponents and control the play.
– Shot blocking techniques to protect the net and prevent scoring opportunities.
– Breakout strategies to efficiently transition the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone.
2. Neutral Zone Skills:
– Gap control techniques to maintain proper positioning and limit opponents’ offensive opportunities.
– Transitional play skills to facilitate quick and smooth transitions between defense and offense.
– Agility and lateral movement drills to enhance overall mobility and agility on the ice.
3. Offensive Zone Skills:
– Shot selection and shooting skills to improve accuracy and maximize scoring chances.
– Blue line utilization techniques to effectively keep the puck in the offensive zone and sustain pressure.
– Decision-making and Hockey IQ training to enhance game awareness and make smart offensive plays.
At our Defence Hockey Camp, we provide a structured and supportive environment where participants can develop their defensive skills to their fullest potential.
Our experienced instructors are dedicated to helping athletes improve their performance and gain a deeper understanding of the game.
Join us for an immersive camp experience that will elevate your defensive abilities on the ice.
FORMER NHL DEFENCEMAN, ROBERT DIRK (PENTICTON, BC)
Robert Dirk, a former NHL defenseman, boasts an impressive career spanning 402 games with notable teams such as Montreal, Chicago, St. Louis, and Anaheim.
Following his playing days, Robert transitioned into coaching and has been involved at various levels of the game. He lent his expertise to teams in the ECHL, WCHL, and UHL, honing his coaching skills and nurturing young talents.
Presently, Robert serves as the Head Coach for the OHA Penticton U18 Prep Team, where he continues to contribute his wealth of knowledge and experience to the development of promising young players. With his extensive background as both a player and a coach, Robert remains dedicated to shaping the future of hockey by guiding and mentoring the next generation of athletes.
FORMER NHL DEFENCEMAN, JOSH GORGES (KELOWNA, BC)
Josh, a native of Kelowna, BC, developed his hockey skills in his hometown and achieved an impressive feat by making it to the Kelowna Rockets as an undrafted bantam player. His junior career was marked by remarkable achievements, including winning the 2003 Ed Chynoweth Cup (WHL Championship) and earning a silver medal with Team Canada at the World Junior Championships the following season.
Notably, Josh served as the Captain of the Rockets during the 2003/2004 season, leading them to victory in the 2004 Memorial Cup. His exceptional talent did not go unnoticed, and he attended camp with the San Jose Sharks, ultimately securing an NHL Contract as an undrafted junior player. In the NHL, Josh played an impressive 783 Regular Season games and participated in 68 playoff games.
Throughout his career, Josh’s leadership abilities stood out, as evidenced by his five seasons as an assistant captain in the NHL. Despite his accomplishments, Josh remains rooted in his hometown of Kelowna, where he has been actively involved with the Kelowna Rockets (WHL) and the West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL) over the past few seasons.
FORMER AHL/ECHL DEFENCEMAN, MATT MACKENZIE (CALGARY, AB)
Born in New Westminster, British Columbia, Matt played his minor hockey for the Maple Ridge Rustlers and then for the Burnaby Winter Club Bruins. He was drafted into the WHL in the second round to the Calgary Hitmen. Matt went on to play for both the Calgary Hitmen and the Tri City Americans for 4 years with the highlight being winning the WHL championship with the Hitmen in 2010.
He was drafted in the third round (83rd Overall) by the Buffalo Sabres to the NHL. From there he spent 7 years playing professional hockey (AHL and ECHL) before being scouted to play professionally overseas. Matt is looking forward to playing in Linz, Austria in the 23/24 upcoming season.
Matt is married to Danica, and has 3 children: Isaiah 5, Bowen 3 and Lilah 3 months. He resides in Okotoks, Alberta in the off season. Matt is passionate about developing the next generation of hockey players, especially defensemen. He looks forward to sharing his experience and skills and teaching players everything he has learned.
INDUSTRY LEADER SINCE 1963